- (September 2016) Seeking student volunteers!: The ISG group is looking for a few students to bring our out-of-date website into the current decade and to help maintain it and other ISG community resources.
- (August. 2014) AsterixDB papers: Three AsterixDB papers about the LSM storage, the overall system, and the Pregelix system respectively are accepted to PVLDB!
- (January 2014) DASFAA 10-year Best Paper Award: The paper "Efficient Execution of Aggregation Queries over Encrypted Relational Databases” by Hakan Hacıgümüş, Bala Iyer, and Sharad Mehrotra, which appeared at the DASFAA 2004 conference, has been selected as the DASFAA 10-year Best Paper Award winner for the year 2014.
- (Dec. 2013) Keynote at ICISS: Sharad Mehrotra gave a keynote talk entitled "Risk-based Data
Processing in Clouds" at the Ninth international Conference on Information Systems Security, Kolkata, India in Dec. 2013.
- (Sept. 2013) Keynote in BIRTE: Mike Carey gave a keynote talk entitled "AsterixDB: A New Platform for Real-Time Big Data BI" at the BIRTE Workshop affiliated with the VLDB 2013 Conference in Riva del Garda, Italy.
- (Sept. 2013) 2013 Google Graduate Student Award in ICS: Liyan Zhang received the 2013 Google Graduate Student Award in ICS.
- (July 2013) Paper in VLDBJ: Dmitri V. Kalashnikov. Super-EGO: Fast Multi-Dimensional Similarity Join. The International Journal on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB Journal).
- (July 2013) Paper in Machine Vision and Applications: Liyan Zhang, Dmitri V. Kalashnikov, Sharad Mehrotra, and Ronen Vaisenberg. Context-based person identification framework for smart video surveillance. Machine Vision and Applications, 2013. Accepted.
- (Sept. 2013) 2013 Google Fellowship in Structured Data: Yingyi Bu received the 2013 Google Fellowship in Structured Data.
- (April 2013) Best Paper Award in ICMR'13: Our paper "A Unified Framework for Context Assisted Face Clustering" by Liyan Zhang, Dmitri Kalashnikov, and Sharad Mehrotra won 2013 ACM International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval.
- (April 2013) Prof. Jain is featured in the UCI news: Prof. Jain's work on mobile health aid is featured at http://news.uci.edu/features/focused-on-the-big-picture/
- (February 2013) Alex's Graduation Party: Photos from Alex's graduation party.
- (January 2013) DASFAA 10-year Best Paper Award: The paper "Efficient Record Linkage in Large Data Sets” by Liang Jin, Chen Li, and Sharad Mehtrotra, which appeared at the DASFAA 2003 conference, has been selected as the DASFAA 10-year Best Paper Award winner for the year 2013.
- (August 2012) Keynote: Mike Carey gave a keynote talk entitled "BDMS Benchmarking: Practices, Pitfalls, and Possibilities" at the TPC-TC Workshop affiliated with the VLDB 2012 Conference in Istanbul, Turkey.
- (August 2012) Keynote: Chen Li gave a keynote talk titled "Search as You Type: From Research to Commercialization" at the DBRank workshop in conjunction with VLDB 2012 in Istanbul, Turkey.
- (Apr 2012) SIGMOD Test-of-Time Award: The 2012 edition of the annual ACM SIGMOD Test-of-Time Award, given to the most impactful paper from the SIGMOD Conference a decade ago, is being given to UCI alumnus Hakan Hacigumus, IBM collaborator Bala Iyer, and ISG faculty members Chen Li and Sharad Mehotra for their paper "Executing SQL over Encrypted Data in the Database-Service-Provider Model". This paper anticipated the world of “Database as Service” (DaaS) much before it came about (and which continues to grow in importance).
- (Apr 2012) Yahoo! Key Scientific Challenges Program winner: Raman Grover is one of the winners of the 2012 Yahoo! Key Scientific Challenges
Program, sponsored by Yahoo! Inc.
- (October 2011) Paper in TODS: Our paper titled "Exploiting Web Querying for Web People Search" by R. Nuray, D.
Kalashnikov, and S. Mehrotra has been accepted for publication in TODS.
- (September 2011) Paper in ICDE'12: Our paper titled "Extending Map-Reduce for Efficient Predicate-Based Sampling" by Raman Grover
and Michael Carey has been accepted for publication in ICDE-2012.
- (August 2011) NSF grant: Prof. Nalini Venkatasubramanian and Dr. Kyungbaek Kim recently received a $205,000
grant from the National Science Foundation to lead a research project
on “GeoSocial Alerting Systems”.
- (August 2011) NSF grant: Prof. Mehrotra and his postdoctoral scholar Bijit Hore received an NSF award from the CNS division to explore query processing in mixed security environments wherein data migrates across different components each
of which may offer different levels of security guarantees and may be susceptible to different attacks.
- (August 2011) NSF grant: Prof. Mehrotra and Kalashnikov received an NSF award from the IIS
division to build a Query and Goal Driven Entity Resolution Framework.
- (August 2011) Paper in TODS: Our paper titled "Attribute and object selection queries over objects with probabilistic attributes" by Rabia Nuray-Turan, Dmitri Kalashnikov, Sharad Mehrotra,
and Yaming Yu
has been accepted for publication in ACM TODS.
- (June 2011) Microsoft Speller Challenge winner: Prof. Chen Li and a group of students participated in the 2011 Microsoft Speller Challenge
and took third place. Congratulations to the team!
- (June 2011) Yahoo! Best Dissertation Fellowship Award: Ronen receives Yahoo! Best Dissertation Fellowship Award for 2011-2012 for his work on "Scalability in Event Detection Systems", nominated by Professor Sharad Mehrotra.
- (June 2011) Best Student Poster Award in CCGrid2011 : Reza receives best Student Poster Award from IEEE/ACM CCGrid2011: “Cloud Based Framework for Rich Content Mobile Applications”, Reza Rahimi , Nalini Venkatasubramanian.
- (April 2011) DARPA grant: The UCI team consisting of Profs.
Sharad Mehrotra, Nalini Venkatasubramanian, and Dmitri V. Kalashnikov
in collaboration with ICSI, Berkeley and SRI have been awarded a DARPA grant to explore Speech-Based Situational Awareness for Event Response.
- (April 2011) NSF grant: Profs. Mehrotra, Carey, Jain, Venkatasubramanian, and Li have been funded by NSF to develop I-sensorium,
to serve as a "living laboratory" to support research in several related
areas of cyber-physical systems: including theoretical foundations
and underlying principles of building sentient systems; engineering, software,
and systems level challenges; and novel application contexts where
such sentient systems can be used. Further
information about this project can be found here.
- (March 2011) Paper in IJCAI 2011: Our paper titled "An Efficient Error-Tolerant Chinese
Pinyin Input Method" by Chen Li and his Tsinghua collaborators (Yabin
Zheng and Maosong Sun) has been accepted for publication in IJCAI 2011.
- (March 2011) Paper in Distributed and Parallel Databases: Our paper titled "ASTERIX: Towards a Scalable,
Semistructured Data Platform for Evolving-World Models" by the ASTERIX
project has been accepted for publication in Distributed
and Parallel Databases.
- (December 2010) Chancellor’s Club Fund for Excellence Fellowship: Pinaki Sinha is selected by the UCI Graduate Division as one of six recipients (campus-wide) of a 2010-2011 Chancellor’s Club Fund for Excellence Fellowship.
- (November 2010) Yahoo! Best Student Dissertation Award: Shengyue Ji received Yahoo! Best Student Dissertation Award for his work on "Efficient Instant Search", nominated by Professor Chen Li.
- (Octobor 2010) NSF grant: Prof. Venkatasubramanian, Dutt, and Mehrotra have received an NSF
award to to develop a semantic foundation, cross-layer system
architecture and adaptation services to improve dependability in
instrumented cyberphysical spaces (ICPS) based on the principles of
- (September 2010) SIGMM Technical Achievement Award: Professor Ramesh Jain received the prestigious SIGMM Technical Achievement award, which will be presented at the ACM International Conference on Multimedia 2010 that will be held October 25-29, 2010 in Florence, Italy.
- (July 2010) Lecture Series: The ISG group has published videos and slides from its 2009-10 Scalable Data Management lecture series for access by members of the data-intensive computing community around the world
- (May 2010) Intel grant: Prof. Li received an Intel grant to study compression of
personal human genome data. See the ICS
news for details.
- (Apr 2010) Excellent Demo Award at DASFAA 2010: Fuzzy Keyword Search on Spatial Data. Sattam Alsubaiee, Chen Li.
- (Apr 2010) Facebook Fellow: Vinayak Borkar is one of five recipients of the inaugural
Facebook Fellowships in support of his work in the Cloud Computing area.
- (Apr 2010) Yahoo! Key Scientific Challenges Program winner: Rares
Vernica is one of the winners of the 2010 Yahoo! Key Scientific Challenges
Program, sponsored by Yahoo! Inc. for his work on "Efficient
Similarity-Based Operators for Social Data", nominated by Prof. Michael
J. Carey and Prof. Chen Li
- (Apr 2010) NEC Research Award: Prof. Mehrotra and Bijit Hore (postdoctoral student, ISG group) have
been awarded an NEC
Research Award for $60,000 to study
Risk Containment in Cloud Computing Services.
- (Mar 2010) NSF grant: Prof. Chen Li received an NSF
to support research on powerful keyword search with efficient indexing
structures and algorithms in a cloud-computing environment, especially in the
family reunification in disasters
such as the Haiti Earthquake.
- (Feb 2010) IBM fellowship award: Ronen Vaisenberg has received an IBM Ph.D. Fellowship award, nominated by Professor Sharad Mehrotra.
- (Jan 2010) Google research award: Prof. Kalashnikov and Mehrotra have been awarded a Google research award
for $50,000 for their work on "Graph based
Disambiguation Framework for Web People Search".
- (Oct 2009) Best student paper of SIMA 2009 at MILCOM 2009: Situation Based Control for Cyber-Physical
Environments. Vivek K. Singh, and Ramesh Jain
- (Oct 2009) Best paper of ACM SIGMM WSM 2009: Motivating Contributors in Social Media Networks.
Vivek K. Singh, Ramesh Jain, Mohan Kankanhalli
- (Aug 2009) NSF grant: ASTERIX gets NSF funding: Prof. Michael Carey and Chen Li's multi-UC-campus project "ASTERIX: A Highly Scalable Parallel Platform for Semistructured Data Management and Analysis" has been funded at $2.7M for three years from the NSF Data Intensive Computing program. The project, based at UCI, also includes UCSD and UCR participants. UCI's share is $1.8M.
- (May 2009) SIGMOD 2009 programming contest: Shengyue Ji, Wen Pu(UIUC) and Mingyan Gao have been selected as one of the five finalist teams for the SIGMOD 2009 programming contest (Main Memory Transactional Index.
- (Mar 2009) New Research Project: Prof. Chen Li officially launches TASTIER: a joint research project with Tsinghua University on efficient auto-complete and type-ahead search on large data sets.
- (Mar 2009) CHORUS talk on MMSE: At the final conference of the famous European CHORUS project on Multimedia Search Engines (MMSE), Professor Ramesh Jain will be the first (and the only one from USA) speaker presenting state of art and the future of multimedia search technology. More information is available here.
- (Mar 2009) ASTERIX gets seed funding: Michael Carey and Chen Li's project "ASTERIX: A Scalable Platform for XML Information Analysis" has received a UC Discovery Grant for $132K, including $52K from UC and $80K from eBay.
- (Mar 2009) PerCom 2009 PhD forum competition: Ronen Vaisenberg won the first prize in the PerCom 2009 PhD forum competition.
- (Feb 2009) NSF grant: Chen Li received an NSF CluE grant (about $221,000) on large-scale data cleaning using Hadoop.
- (Jan 2009) Google research award: Michael Carey received a Google Research Award ($70,000) to work on OpenII (Open Information Integration).
- (2009) NSF grant: Sharad Mehrotra and Nalini Venkatasubramanian received a $135,000 NSF grant on Dispatcher selection (joint with SRI).
- (2009) DHS grant: Sharad Mehrotra and Nalini Venkatasubramanian received a $1,000,000 SAFIRE grant from DHS.